Wednesday, June 9, 2010

How to survive your first day at work? (Part 1)

After working for a few weeks, I started to look back on my first day at work. Good God, it was not as gloomy as I imagined it was going to be. Because, you know when you start your first day at work, people around you will say different things based on their experiences. You would hear funny stuff, good stuff, and even bad stuff from them. But to tell you the truth, it is not impossible to sail through your first day... Read about my story and the tips that I have followed from books and web pages.

I wanna hold em' like they do in Texas plays
Fold em' let em' hit me raise it baby stay with me (I love it)
Luck and intuition play the cards with Spades to start
And after he's been hooked I'll play the one that's on his heart... Lalalala

"Who in the God's name set the alarm at this time of the day?! I'm pissed off!" Oh wait, it was me last night, but why? At this time, yesterday, I was still on my bed, never thought of getting up this early. Bless me! Today is my first day at work! Okay stop cursing and get up. I am very nervous actually. Luckily I have prepared all the things I needed for the day. Here are tips to wear off the nervousness and to remain calm:


Wear the suit you are most comfortable in but NOT if it's a skirt that shows every inch of your legs... Iron your shirt and polish your shoes... Shave and put on cologne. Stop looking like a hobo for goodness sake!... Keep this in mind; when you are comfortable with your attire, you will feel more confident about yourself.

Note 1 : If you feel confident, you'll look confident to others.


A glass of fruit juice and toast are all I had for breakfast. At least I stuffed something in. Empty stomachs will growl; and you don't want your boss to be listening to your stomach rather than you talking. For Muslims, if you are fasting during the Ramadhan's month, make sure you don't miss the 'sahur' period. One more thing, clean teeth and fresh breath is a must (NO chilli stains please!). Use mouthwash and don't say that you can't afford it because mouthwash is cheap, so make sure you get one.

Note 2 : Don't go to work with an empty stomach or bad breath; both are a BIG NO-NO!


I know that my day at work starts when I leave the house. Leaving a little bit earlier will surely give me ample time to get to the office. You'd never know when something will crop up. Luckily my office is near my house, like what you call 'just around the corner'. So I don't have to struggle waiting for the bus or queuing for mass transit. But for those of you who have to use mass transportation, be sure to allocate plenty of time to get there early. Remember to be prepared with a contingency plan. Always expect the unexpected. Don't be too stubborn to learn the alternative route to the office. By the way, make sure you know who you have to report to.

Note 3 : Know how to get to the office in time; know the alternative route to get to the office in time.


When I arrived at the office, I went straight to my reporting manager. With a broad smile and with all the confidence I possess, I introduced myself to the few colleagues that were in the office. The first thought that went through my mind at that time was "Please-lah, these people not the type that are so serious and lame." ( I am laughing as I write this because all my office-mates are the cheerful type; so it has been fun working with them so far, and I know God blessed me with this job, haha..) Once I am done with this "Hi, nice to meet you" stuff, I was shown to my workplace and everything that I needed to use during the 10 working hours. If your office is small, it won't be a trouble to locate everything you need such as printer, copier or power point. But when you are working in a Multi National Company (MNC) that have their own 10-storey building, you might want to consider at least knowing the layout of the office before you even sit at your work station or designated table.

Note 4 : Walk in with a nice smile, be polite and friendly to everyone you encounter. People judge you the moment they meet you. So first impressions do count. Know what you need to know about the office.


To be continued in Part 2......

p/s: I don't want you to fall asleep reading too much of my story at one time =)